- To capitalise on the natural curiosity of students by engaging them in the learning of Science through discovery and inquiry
- To inculcate the spirit of inquiry and innovation within every Gabrielite
- To develop every Gabrielite to embrace Science with passion and be responsible in caring for the environment
Head of Department: Mdm Jean Heng
Level Head (Internal): Ms Jolene Low
Senior Teacher: Mdm Chitra Devi
Primary 3 – 6 Student Centric Curriculum & Experiential Learning
- Inquiry-based Learning (IBL) and Experential Learning Approach
At SGPS, the IBL approach places the learning more so in the hands of students as they take part in investigative activities to understand concepts while making connections with their surroundings.
- Science Practical
Environmental Programmes and Initiatives
Teaching students about the environment helps them understand that small actions to preserve the environment having large impacts over time. Creating an environmental awareness in our students through our curriculum includes the following aspects of environmental studies:
- Recycling and Upcycling
- Inculcating sustainable habits such as using reusable bags or bottles, turning the water off while brushing teeth, switching the lights off when not in use
- The importance of Food Drives
- Lower Primary Green Fingers Programme
Junior Science (JS) programme
Aimed at easing the lower primary students into the subject of Science, this programme taps on the natural curiosity of the Primary 1 and 2 students to further hone their Science skills and concepts.
Science Talent Development Programmes
Innovation Programme (IvP)
The Innovation Programme (IvP) provides a unique opportunity for students to develop their problem-solving and thinking skills. It enables students to think critically about existing problems, generate ideas to improve the situation, develop prototypes to test and improve their ideas while imbibing students with knowledge and experiences beyond the classroom.
Excellence 2000 (E2K) Science Programme
The E2K Science Programme Singapore is a Science enrichment programme for upper primary students who demonstrate an interest and ability in the subject. The Programme is run by teachers in schools all over Singapore who have been trained in the E2K pedagogy.
The programme offers opportunities for students to engage in scientific investigations to discover and deepen their understanding of advanced Science concepts through an inquiry approach. The rich learning experiences offered by the programme serve to help students to:
* Develop the habits, attitudes and dispositions Scientists possess.
* Gain important 21st century competencies such as critical thinking, invention thinking and effective communication skills.