To create a diverse and vibrant learning environment to nurture confident critical problem solvers and motivated lifelong learners
HOD / SH / Corrdinator
HOD (internal): Mr Christopher Wong
Level Head: Ms Low Yun Hui
The Mathematics Department supports the school’s strategic goal of creating a Compelling Learning Experience that cultivates the spirit of life-long learning. The department has put into action various measures to provide a holistic learning environment for pupils to explore Mathematics and develop a love for Mathematics through their primary school years.
Our Mathematics Program emphasizes on:
- Mastery of knowledge and skills
- Problem solving
- Critical and creative thinking
- Communication skills
Learning through real life experiences - LE3 Programme
Using cubes to discover number bonds Measuring the distance travelled by their aeroplane
Using the trundle wheel to measure distances. Discovering the volume of packet and can drinks.
Problem Solving Strategies (PSS)
Using the spiral approach, students are exposed to different problem solving strategies progressively from Primary 1 to Primary 6. This enables them to familiarise themselves with the various heuristics skills so as to build their confidence in dealing with Math problems. To promote meta-cognition among students, students reflect after each strategy has been taught and identify the key features to the heuristic skills.
Mathematical Olympiad (P4-P6)
• 8 sessions training programme to expose selected students to Mathematics problems that will stimulate their interest and enthusiasm for problem solving.
• Participate in national mathematics competitions held by schools such as Hwa Chong Institution and Raffles Institution.
Our AchievementsICAS Mathematics (2017)· 4 High Distinctions
· 28 DistinctionsSingapore And Asian Schools Math Olympiad (2017)· 2 Gold· 3 Silver· 10 BronzeRaffles Institution Primary Math World Contest (2017)· 6 Distinctions · 7 CreditsSingapore Mathematical Olympiad for Primary School (2017)· 1 BronzeRafflesInstitution Primary Math World Contest (2018) · 9 Distinctions · 4 Credits
General Math websites
|1. MOE Syllabus
2. Math Problems Sums – Koobits http://problemsums.koobits.com
3. World of Math Online
4. Math is Fun – Math Resources http://www.mathsisfun.com
5. A Maths Dictionary for Kids http://www.amathsdictionaryforkids.com/
| Teaching Ideas and links
|| 1. Coolmath4parents
2. Games to cultivate interest http://www.arcademics.com/
3. Math Learning Center http://www.mathlearningcenter.org/
4. Math Puzzles, Printables, Problems, Test Preparation
5. Online Lesson – Identifying fractions using lines and circles. Renaming, comparing, adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing of fractions using lines and circles. http://www.visualfractions.com
6. Primary Games – Educational games for the primary classroom http://www.primarygames.co.uk/
7. Cool Math 4 kids – Math games, Math puzzles, Math lessons – designed for kids and fun! http://www.coolmath4kids.com/
8. Math Advantage – Math Activities according to your grades/levels http://www.harcourtschool.com/menus/math_advantage.html
9. Hundreds of pages of Basic Math Skills http://www.aaamath.com
10. Coolmath.com – An amusement park of math designed for fun
11. The Internet’s #1 Education Site for K-8 pupils and teachers
12. Online Math Java Games http://www.aplusmath.com/games/index.html